Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A memory that will forever be indescribable Pt. 1

To some this is a group of nerds. To others it's a field
full of daisies just waiting to be frolicked in.

PAX East will forever be my favorite memory. Ever. I honestly have been starting at those two sentences for about 20 minutes now and have no real good way to segway this into a better description or even a decent metaphor. I can't. I simply cannot summarize PAX any better than that. So let's pretend that this fake transition is about as real as wrestling.


My brother found Penny Arcade long before I even imagined having a computer having internet on it. He spread this comical plague to me quickly and efficiently. I remember reading back when Div was making cameo appearances in a comic every other week or so. I can't even remember when they even announced the first PAX let alone PAX East. What I do know is when PAX East was announced, my brother and I made an unspoken, unwritten pact to eventually attend one of these. Yeah it has only been 2 years since the first PAX East but we knew, we needed to attend an event of such scale. After seeing reports, videos and reading tons of articles in the past 2 years, it made it crystal clear. PAX East 2012 was going to happen.

I moved out of my parent's house last summer in July, so as we all know living on your own is harder than the luxury of minimal bills and little to no rent. Video games have started to make a bigger impact on my life since then. I started playing some free to play games and playing other games I never had time for. I have been thinking more about video games and how I would like to make a career, somehow, some way, in the industry. So in my travels on the interwebs of looking up information on such things, I stumbled on last year's PAX East website. At that very moment I picked up my phone texted my brother and my friends, and somewhere along the lines said, "I'm going to PAX East. Who wants in?" And there was not a single "no" in the bunch. Que awesome adventurous music.

So at Thanksgiving, my brother and I finalized the hotel, and the tickets. At that moment some people would be like "Cool where's the turkey?" But I have a mind that thinks a lot and is sometimes over sentimental but it kind of hit me. "We are going to PAX East." is what I said over, and over, and over in my head. I got chills and felt like a kid being told his parents are taking him to Disney. Now the worst part of the whole thing was about to happen. Time to wait until April 6th. Que more awesome Chrono Trigger music.

Then, I wake up at 6 AM. It's that Friday. I wish I could go back in time to that Ethan and tell him how much of an awesome time he is going to have. Then attend it, all over again, with him. After about 2 hours of traveling, parking and then traveling to PAX from our hotel. Me and my friends approach the expo center and the front sign reads, "Welcome Home." There it is again. Those chills and that feeling washes over me. We get off the bus and walk into the center. Find the front of the building. Look through the glass into the Expo Hall and my exact words are, "Holy. Fucking. Shit."

To be continued...


-EF

No comments:

Post a Comment